Reading books when the sun is blazing above you while the sea is in front of you is one of the best feelings. With summer finally here, you can now enjoy reading outside under a beach umbrella or at a park. We have gathered a list of the 21 best books to read in the summer so you will surely have a great book to read when you head out!
There are some books that read better in certain seasons. The weather around you can put you in a similar weather and transport you into the novel. Or maybe you just want to have a great novel to read at the beach. Either way, this list is surely to keep you hooked as we included some amazing novels that you will enjoy this summer.
The 21 Best Books to Read in the Summer
- Speedboat by Renata Adler
- American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson
- Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
- The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
- Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin
- The Girls’ Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank
- Three Summers by Margarita Liberaki
- The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
- A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
- The Diver’s Clothes Lie Empty by Vendela Vida
- A Children’s Bible by Lydia Millet
- Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
- The Beach by Alex Garland
- Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
- The Lover by Marguerite Duras
- The Keep by Jennifer Egan
- St. Lucy’s Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Jaws by Peter Benchley
Books to Read This Summer
The list includes a variety of genre so this is something for everyone. If you like a good suspense novel, look no further than The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith. It has a murder, a vacation, and amazing weather. The scenery alone makes this novel the perfect choice but once the plot picks up, you will forget where you are.
Another novel that you will enjoy this summer is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. If you have already read this classic, then this is a great time to revisit it. The beautiful book cover will get you in the mood as you are transported back to the roaring 1920’s.
Lastly, you may have seen the movie adaptation of this novel but probably haven’t read the novel. Jaws by Peter Benchley is a fun read that focuses on the importance of the summer season for a small town and how the town tries to keep the shark attacks a secret. Nobody wants to go in the water if you know a shark is swimming in it. That is why we prefer to read when at the beach!
These are the 21 best books to read in the summer. There are books for everyone on this list so you can find a great book no matter what genre you like. Where do you plan to read you book this summer? Let us know in the comments below!