As the year comes to an end, there are many people excited for all of the books that will enter the public domain on January 1st, 2023. One of the books entering the public domain is Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes.
The first day of every year heralds a new year but it also is called Public Domain Day. Certain works of music, film, and literature is available for everyone. In the United States. The copywrite rules vary from country to country and if certain conditions are met.
In 2023, some works that will be entering the public domain include works from Doyle, Virginia Woolf, Earnest Hemingway, Agatha Christie, and William Faulkner. That is an exceptional list of authors and many fans will be flocking to their works on the first of January. You can see the full list below.
Books Entering the Public Domain in 2023
- • Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse
- • Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
- • Willa Cather, Death Comes for the Archbishop
- • Countee Cullen, Copper Sun
- • A. A. Milne, Now We Are Six, illustrations by E. H. Shepard
- • Thornton Wilder, The Bridge of San Luis Rey
- • Ernest Hemingway, Men Without Women (collection of short stories)
- • William Faulkner, Mosquitoes
- • Agatha Christie, The Big Four
- • Edith Wharton, Twilight Sleep
- • Herbert Asbury, The Gangs of New York (the original 1927 publication)
- • Franklin W. Dixon (pseudonym), The Tower Treasure (the first Hardy Boys book)
- • Hermann Hesse, Der Steppenwolf (in the original German)
- • Franz Kafka, Amerika (in the original German)
- • Marcel Proust, Le Temps retrouvé (the final installment of In Search of Lost Time, in the original French)
The Last Sherlock Holmes Book
As you can see, many great authors are having their works enter the public domain. This is the final Sherlock Holmes book to enter the public domain. There are thousands of works that will be available for everyone to read for free come January 1st.
Which books are you most excited about entering the public domain? Let us know in the comments below!
1 thought on “Sherlock Holmes Amongst Books to Enter Public Domain in 2023”