Singer Olivia Rodrigo rose to stardom with her 2021 hit album Driver’s License. But when she isn’t busy making hit songs, Rodrigo can be found reading a book. Keep reading to find out Olivia Rodrigo’s favorite books.
Fans of Rodrigo may already know that she is a bookworm. She has posed with her favorite books, shares what she is reading, and loves reading poetry. Some of her songs have been inspired by books.
Her second album Guts was released on September 8th. Many listeners can find references to books that helped her write the songs. You can see her favorite books below!
Olivia Rodrigo’s Favorite Books
- Helium by Rudy Francisco
- The Marvels by Brian Selznick
- Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion
- The Flame by Leonard Cohen
- Auguries of Innocence by Patti Smith
- Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyers
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert
- A Natural Woman by Carole King
- 1984 by George Orwell
- American Girl Baking by Williams-Sonoma and American Girl
- Poison for Breakfast by Lemony Snicket
- Wading in Waist-High Water: The Lyrics of Fleet Foxes by Robin Pecknold
- All About Love: New Visions by bell hooks
- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
- The Defining Decade by Meg Jay
Poetry and Classics
What makes Rodrigo’s favorite books list different from most lists that it includes poetry books as well as classics. Her love of books has led to famous people gifting her books they have written.
Her new album is going to take over the radio soon. The first song on the album “All-American Bitch” is inspired by Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion. This is what Rodrigo had to say about the song.
“It comes from the essay that she wrote about hippies in San Francisco and running away from home. One of the runaways was talking about his mom back home and said that she was an ‘all-American bitch.’ I was like, ‘Wow, that’s so cool.’ It’s such a provocative set of words. I sat down the next day at the piano and wrote ‘All-American Bitch.’… You never know the trajectory a song is going to take.”
Another book that had a big impact on Rodrigo is Auguries of Innocence by Patti Smith. It was gifted to Rodrigo by the author herself. The punk singer included a personal inscription to Rodrigo, writing “To Olivia, may all your days be inspired. Patti.”
These are some of Olivia Rodrigo’s favorite books. This may not even scratch the surface considering how much she loves reading.