The fantasy genre is one of the most diverse and creative genres there is. It has led to many amazing fantasy worlds and has created some of the most iconic characters to exist. That is why we have decided to list the best fantasy books of all time!
Depending on your preference, you may enjoy some light-hearted fantasy books or maybe a dark and grim one. There are a lot of options to choose from which makes creating this list a bit difficult. That didn’t stop us but we did have to consider some books that while they weren’t our cup of tea, they are still beloved by many. You can see the full list below!
The Best Fantasy Books of All Time
- The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
- A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
- Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
- Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
- Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
- The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling
- Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
- The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
- The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- Storm Front by Jim Butcher
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
- The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper
- The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
Old and New Fantasy Books
Some of our picks are obvious and to be honest, this list was easier to make than the other ones. That is partly because I love fantasy novels and avidly have scoured dozens of lists over the years. It is no surprise to see The Lord of the Rings, A Game of Thrones, and Harry Potter on the list.
I would rather talk about less mainstream books like The Blade Itself, Mistborn, Gideon the Ninth, and Six of Crows. Those are some of my favorite books of all time and each of them has its own spin on the fantasy genre. Gideon the Ninth is a witty sci-fi fantasy novel and it pushes the genre is a direction unlike any other book.
Lastly, what I noticed when making this list is that unlike other lists, the fantasy list includes a lot more recent books. The 2000’s seems to be a great decade for fantasy books and a lot of authors made a name for themselves. And there are still amazing books being released in this genre and that is a great sign for fans of fantasy.
That wraps up our best fantasy books of all time list. What books should have made the list didn’t? Let us know in the comments below. Until next time, happy reading!