Fantasy books are some of the most popular books out there. The world-building and magical elements make them hard to put down! We decided to look at the 10 best selling fantasy books of all time to see which ones fans have loved the most over the years!
Many of the books on this list will be familiar names to most readers. Who hasn’t heard of The Lord of the Rings or The Song of Ice and Fire series? What will be surprising is where these books rank on the list and what books don’t make the top ten. You can see the full list below.
The 10 Best Selling Fantasy Books of All Time
- The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (1954): Copies sold: +150 million
- A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (1996): Copies sold: +90 million
- The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990): Copies sold: +90 million
- Discworld by Terry Pratchett (1983): Copies sold: +80 million
- Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice: (1976): Copies sold: +80 million
- The Dark Tower by Stephen King (1982): Copies sold: +30 million
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991): Copies sold: +26 million
- Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind (1994): Copies sold: +25 million
- Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (2006): Copies sold: +10 million
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007): Copies sold: +10m
These are the ten best-selling fantasy books of all time. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien takes the top spot with over 150 million copies sold since it was published in 1954. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin comes in second place with over 90 million copies sold. The drop-off from between the two books shows just how beloved Tolkien’s novel is.
Robert Jordan’s The Eye of the World comes in at third with also over 90 million copies sold. The Eye of the World book series has seen a rise in popularity since it made its debut in 1990.
More Recent Novels Making the List
You may have noticed that the top eight books on the list were all published before 2000. Very few authors have seen the same amount of success but a few new names have also established themselves as amazing fantasy writers. Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss round up the top ten with novels published after 2000.
What did you think of the 10 best selling fantasy books of all time list? How many of these books have you read? Let us know in the comments below!
1 thought on “The 10 Best Selling Fantasy Books of All Time ”
I must be the only person in the world who hasn’t read Terry Pratchett. I’ll have to remedy that.