The internet has been ablaze with talks about ChatGPT, an AI chatbot that can write essays, answer questions, and do various other things. Many people are scared that it will enable cheating and make tests useless. We decided to ask ChatGPT what the best books of all time are.
Humans are biased so maybe an AI can properly answer this question. We wanted to see what books the AI chooses and how they would hold against our scrutiny. You can see what books ChatGPT chose below and what it said.
ChatGPT’s Best Books of All Time
“It is subjective to say which books are the “best of all time” as it depends on personal taste and what one is looking to gain from reading a particular book. However, some books that are considered to be classics and have had a significant impact on literature and culture include:
- “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen
- “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee
- “The Lord of the Rings” by J.R.R. Tolkien
- “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger
- “The Hobbit” by J.R.R. Tolkien
- “Animal Farm” by George Orwell
- “1984” by George Orwell
- “One Hundred Years of Solitude” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- “Moby-Dick” by Herman Melville
This list is not exhaustive and there are many other books that could be considered “best of all time.”
A Good List
I have to say, this is a good list. There aren’t any bold choices which feels like a typical safe answer. Most people have some if not all of these books on their lists. Seeing two books on the list by Orwell was surprising. Did it pull them both because they were from the same other? We will never know.
That is a good list but I wanted to see if ChatGPS could keep going and list more books that are the best of all time. This is what it replied.
“Certainly, here are some more books that are considered classics and have had a significant impact on literature and culture:
- “The Bible”
- “The Iliad” and “The Odyssey” by Homer
- “The Divine Comedy” by Dante Alighieri
- “Don Quixote” by Miguel de Cervantes
- “War and Peace” by Leo Tolstoy
- “The Brothers Karamazov” by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Bronte
- “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Bronte
- “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde
- “Heart of Darkness” by Joseph Conrad
Again, this list is not exhaustive and there are many other books that could be considered “best of all time” depending on personal taste and what one is looking to gain from reading a particular book.”
Can’t Go Wrong
The second list is much more interesting. All of these books are great choices and I imagine these books have the second most appearances on most lists. The AI is great at choosing books that are highly regarded. It is most likely choosing the books that appeared most often in the best books of all-time list.
ChatGPS makes it hard to disagree with its picks. Even if the books listed wouldn’t be your first choice, they are classics and many people would understand why they were chosen. That is the genius of AI.
3 thoughts on “ChatGPT’s Best Books of All Time ”