It will come as no surprise that Prince Harry’s Spare was the best-selling nonfiction book during the first half of 2023.
The rest of the books in the top five were published in previous years and have been a constant on the nonfiction book. People have been flocking towards books that can help them improve their mind and their wallets.
The Best-Selling Nonfiction Books
Self-help books have been dominating this genre for the past decade and the trend continues. Celebrity books sell well during the year that they are published but after that, they struggle to stay afloat.
The money is with self-help books according to the market. Last year, self-help books made $13 billion. In 2016, they made almost $10 billion. You can check out the full list below.
The Five Best-Selling Nonfiction Books of 2023 So Far
- Spare by Prince Harry the Duke of Sussex, 1,174,137 print copies sold, 2023
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear, 587,718 copies sold, 2018
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel Van Der Kolk, 289,701 copies sold,2015
- The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene, 277,966 copies sold, 2003
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz, 247,211 copies sold,1997
Self Help Books Dominate the List
As you can see from the list, four out of the five books were not published in 2023. Once a self-help book established itself, people will be buying them for a long time. Word of mouth as well as listicle that include these books help them move copies at a steady rate.
One of the books on the list, The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene was published in 2000 and still is selling over 250,000 copies within the first six months of 2023. The Four Agreements was published 1997 and still made the top five and should cross the 500,000 mark by the end of the year.
While Spare may be the book that comes out on top at the end of the year, it is going to fade away but the self-help books are here to stay. Nothing beats a book that can help you build better habits.