If you are like me, then you are a huge fantasy fan. It is easily my favorite genre and I have to force myself to read to read other books. But for this list, we will be staying with this genre as we share our list of the 21 must read fantasy books of all time!
With so many fantasy books to choose from, making this list was not easy. But it must be done. This is a strong list that contains some of the best fantasy novels to be published as well as some hidden gems. No list is going to get it completely right but we like how this list came out. You can see the full list below!
The 21 Must Read Fantasy Books of All Time
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien
- A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R.R. Martin
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
- Mistborn Series by Brandon Sanderson
- The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
- Dune by Frank Herbert
- The Night Angel by Brent Weeks
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie
- The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
- A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- Discworld by Terry Pratchett
- The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
- Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1 by Patrick Rothfuss
- Temeraire by Naomi Novik
The Best Fantasy Books
If you love fantasy novels, then you have to read The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Not only is it an amazing series but it is the formula that many fantasy authors have used to write their novels. If you have read a bunch of fantasy novels, then you have most likely come across troupes that were popularized by Tolkien.
Or if you prefer mystery novels and wanted them to have a flair of fantasy, the Dresden Files should be your next read. Butcher’s writing is brilliant and it feels like a whodunnit instead of your usual world building fantasy novel. Butcher was a big fan of fantasy novels and it shows.
A surprise series on this list is Brandon Sanderson’s The Final Empire. It is a more recent series that pushes the genre forward. It has a multitude of characters and the novel has a time jump as well as in a change of protagonists. Those are stuff you don’t see in many fantasy novels because it is a lot to juggle and fans aren’t always receptive to such changes. But Sanderson makes this work with ease as well as making the newer books feel fresh.
That is all for our list of the 21 must read fantasy books of all time. How many of these books have you read? What books should have made our list? Let us know in the comments below!