There are hundreds of tv shows that have been adapted from books. Many of them would surprise you. That is why we decided to list 8 TV shows that you didn’t know were book adaptations.
Some of the best television shows that have aired were adaptations and most people don’t even know it. When you have a great source material, that makes it easier for directors and writers. These 7 adaptations are proof of that. You can see the full list below!
7 TV Show That You Didn’t Know Were Book Adaptations
- Gossip Girl, Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar
- The Queen’s Gambit, The Queen’s Gambit by Walter Tevis
- Hannibal, The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
- The 100, The 100 by Kass Morgan
- Dexter, Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
- Orange Is the New Black, Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison by Piper Kerman
- Friday Night Lights, Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream by H. G. Bissinger
Many of these TV shows are well known and iconic. Who doesn’t know Gossip Girl or Dexter? I remember when Orange is the New Black was seemingly everywhere for a few years.
I was surprised to learn that Friday Night Lights and Gossip Girl were based on books. That may also be because the books aren’t as successful. Sometimes, some novels don’t get the recognition that they deserve. That is where other mediums come in and give them the exposure that they deserve.
These are the 7 TV shows that you didn’t know were book adaptations. How many of these books have you read or plan to read? Which other shows should have been included on the list? Let us know in the comments below!