I am always searching for the next Fantasy book to read. There are many great books to choose from which makes it a bit difficult. That is why we have decided to create a list of the 40 must read fantasy books of all time. Keep reading to find out which books made the list!
There are tons of great fantasy books to choose from. You won’t be able to read many of them which is why you have to be thorough. This list highlights some of the best works in the genre. Some of these books will end up being your favorite. And others you might not enjoy as much. You can see the full list below!
The 40 Must Read Fantasy Books of All Time
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien
- A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R.R. Martin
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
- Mistborn Series by Brandon Sanderson
- The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
- Dune by Frank Herbert
- The Night Angel by Brent Weeks
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie
- The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
- A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- Discworld by Terry Pratchett
- The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
- Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1 by Patrick Rothfuss
- Temeraire by Naomi Novik
- The Gentlemen Bastards by Scott Lynch
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
- The Malazan Book of the Fallen Trilogy by Steven Erikson
- Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
- The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
- Good Omens by Terry Pratchett
- The Once and Future King by T.H. White
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
- Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
- The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
- The Jade City by Fonda Lee
- Magician by Raymond E. Feist
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- The Divine Cities Trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett
- The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker
- Circe by Madeline Miller
Fantasy Novels That You Need to Read
If you love fantasy novels, then you have to read The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Not only is it an amazing series but it is the formula that many fantasy authors have used to write their novels. If you have read a bunch of fantasy novels, then you have most likely come across troupes that were popularized by Tolkien.
One of my favorite series on the list is The First Law by Joe Abercrombie. It is a gritty and bloody series that feels like it belongs on HBO. The characters are interesting and the protagonist has his moments. The world building is what makes this novel special and one of a kind.
My favorite fantasy writer has to be Brandon Sanderson without a question. He has many great fantasy series and all of them have made me a fan. His characters are likable and his world-building is great. The Stormlight Archive and the Mistborn series have made him a star in the fantasy world.
That ends this list of the 40 must read fantasy books of all time. How many of these fantasy books have you read? What books should have made the list? Let us know in the comments below!