Some of my favorite books of all time are science fiction books They can transport you to different world, introduce new technology and ideas with ease. That is why we decided to list the 40 best science fiction books of all time. Keep reading for our list of the 30 best science fiction books that you must read!
There are many amazing science fiction books to read. But getting to all of them will take a long time. This list focuses on some of the best forks of sci-fi novels.
Not every great sci-fi novels are going to make the list. Hopefully, the books on this list encourage you to dive deep into the genre, You can spend months reading books by Isaac Asimov alone. You can see the full list below!
The 40 Best Science Fiction Books That You Must Read
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
- Dune by Frank Herbert
- 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
- Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
- Foundation by Isaac Asimov
- The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
- The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide by Douglas Adams
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- Hyperion by Dan Simmons
- Ringworld by Larry Niven
- I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
- Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
- The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
- The Children of Men by PD James
- Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
- The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
- 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
- The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
- The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
- Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
- Kindred by Octavia Butler
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
- The Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish
- The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
- A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick
- Neuromancer by William Gibson
- Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
- Under The Skin by Michel Faber
- Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
- The Martian by Andy Weir
Science Fiction Books Worth Reading
One of my personal favorites on this list is Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. It is a brilliant novel that has an expected plot twist. The writing is precise and the tension is palpable. Another favorite of mine is Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. The novel makes you think and ask questions that are hard to answer.
A newer nowel that made the list is Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. It is a novel that you will think about long after you have finished reading it. Mandel has become one of my favorite authors over the years and this book showcases her amazing talents.
If you like horror novels, then there are also some books here for you. Frankenstein is a classic that is a must read. But it is one of many sci-fi genres that combine elements from both. A deep dive will lead you in a tunnel that may keep you up at night.
Even if you aren’t an avid book reader, there is a good chance you read The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. It is taught in most schools across the United States. The brilliant dystopian novel tackles heavy themes which has made it one of the most censored books in the world.
That is the end of this list of the 40 best science fiction books that you must read. How many of these novels have you read? What novels would you have included on the list? Let us know in the comments below!