Seeing Fox and books in the same sentence and the word ban not mentioned is a sight to behold. But that is just what happened as Fox released a list of 18 must read classic books. See which books made their list!
Putting away our feeling for Fox aside, the list is interesting to say the least. I can imagine how the people who created the list must have tried to avoid listing any “banned book” for fear of backlash. That is why this list doesn’t feel like it has a backbone.
For example, a classic book that belongs on this list is The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. It is ironic seeing Fahrenheit 451 on the list considering it sums up book banning culture.
These are classic books that Fox recommends. And while I would like certain books to be included, it is a decent list. If any of Fox’s audience reads these books, that is a win in itself.
The only novel I don’t like on this list is The Scarlet Letter but I do like seeing these classics get the attention they deserve. You can see the full list below!
Classic fiction books
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Dracula by Bram Stoker
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
- 1984 by George Orwell
Classic nonfiction books
- The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau
- A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
- Hiroshima by John Hersey
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
These are Fox’s 18 must read classic books. The list includes both fiction and nonfiction books. How many of these books have you read? What do you make of Fox’s list? Let us know in the comments below!