While there are many amazing books to read, the classics always deserve some love. Many people ignore them and end up missing out on amazing novels. That is why we compiled a list of 19 classics that everyone should read!
Classic novels have influenced many modern novels and will continue to do so. That is the power of an amazing book. The popularity of characters from novels published over a century ago should be enough encouragement to read them. You can see the full list below
19 Classics That Everyone Should Read
- The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
- Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
- The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Dracula by Bram Stoker
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Classics That You Should Read
The first novel on our list is The Catcher in the Rye and it is a novel that everyone should read. Salinger tells a captivating story that will resonate with many young adults. Many people read it in high school and I recommend revisiting it and seeing what flew over your head the first time around.
One of my favorite classics is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It is an amazing adventure story and very well written. Even if you aren’t a fan of classic novels, this one will have you hooked!
A novel that many know about even if they have never read it is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. It is more than just a typical horror novel. It tackles a bunch of philosophical issues and helped push launch the horror genre. Plus, many people incorrectly assume that the monster is called Frankenstein.
These are 19 classics that everyone should read. How many books on the list have you read? What classics should we include on our next list? Let us know in the comments below!