There is something about a novel that won an award. It begs the question “Why did it win the award?” The best way to find out is to read the novel. That is why we compiled a list of 9 award winning novels that you should read!
Before we dive into this article, I want to mention that while I enjoy scouring various lists to see which books are worth reading, it ultimately comes down to whether the book sounds interesting. Everyone has a read a popular book that didn’t live up the hype.
What separates award winning books is that it is usually a group that chooses them. I’ve found some amazing novels as a result and that is why I do think award winning books should be sought out. You can see the full list below!
9 Award Winning Novels That You Should Read
- The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich – Pulitzer Prize for Fiction
- The Promise by Damon Galgut – Man Booker Prize
- Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell – National Book Critics Circle Award
- Harrow by Joy Williams – Kirkus Prize
- Further News of Defeat by Michael X. Wang – PEN/Robert W. Bingham Prize for Debut Fiction
- Deacon King Kong by James McBride – Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction
- At Night All Blood is Black by David Diop, tr. by Anna Moschovakis – Los Angeles Times Book Prize, Man Booker International Prize
- Network Effect by Martha Wells – Hugo Award, Nebula Award
- The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones – Bram Stoker Award
Award Winning Novels
These nine novels all were winners in 2021. Some of them had prize winnings while others just received the award. As you probably noticed, some novels won multiple awards.
The first novel on the list is The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich. It won the prestigious Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. That is one of the most coveted awards out there. The winning novel has to be about “dealing with American life.”
One of the novels on the list that I’ve seen countless times is Deacon King Kong by James McBride. As a fellow New Yorker, it makes sense because the novel takes place in New York. It won the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction which is given to “the best fiction and nonfiction books for adult readers published in the U.S.”
Lastly, the third and final book I want to mention is Network Effect by Martha Wells. It won the prestigious Hugo Award and the Nebula Award. As someone that loves detailed and complete fantasy novels, I am in awe. Wells has established herself as one of the best modern fantasy and science fiction writers out there!
That is all for our list of the 9 award winning novels that you should read. These aren’t the only ones so please don’t overreact if your favorite novel didn’t make the list. You can mention it below and get the conversation started!