Science fiction books have always been popular with readers. A well-written sci-fi novel is impossible to put down. That is why we will be looking at the bestselling science fiction books of all time. Keep reading to find out which books made our list!
There have been many amazing science fiction books over the decades. This list includes old classics as well as newer books that have made some of these authors into a household name. You will recognize most of the books on the list as well as see some books that you never got around to reading. You can see the full list below!
The Bestselling Science Fiction Books of All Time
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – 100+ million copies sold
- 1984 by George Orwell – 30+ million copies sold
- Dune by Frank Herbert – 20+ million copies sold
- Foundation by Isaac Asimov – 20+ million copies sold
- The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide by Douglas Adams – 15+ million copies sold
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury – 10+ million copies sold
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley – 8+ million copies sold
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood – 8+ million copies sold
- Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein – 5+ million copies sold
- 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke – 3+ million copies sold
- The Martian Andy Weir – 3+ million copies sold
The Biggest Sci-Fi Books Out There
This list includes many classics, new and old. The book to top the list is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins with over 100 million copies sold. When the novel first came out, it was inescapable. The success of the books translated into a successful movie franchise that many other books tried to copy to some success.
Coming in second is George Orwell’s 1984 with over 30 million copies sold. The dystopian novel is as popular today as it has ever been. In third place is Dune by Frank Herbert with over 20 million copies sold. It is considered one of the best sci-fi fantasy novels and is getting more attention with the recent movie adaptations.
Foundation by Isaac Asimov is the fourth bestselling sci-fi book of all time with over 20 million copies sold. Asimov helped shape this genre of fiction so this is to be expected. Rounding up the top five is The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams with over 15 million copies sold. It is a great combination of sci-fi and comedy and is a personal favorite of mine.
That is all for this list of the bestselling science fiction books of all time. What book are you surprised that didn’t make the list? Let us know in the comments below!