Historical fiction books are some of my favorite books to read. There are tons of amazing novels and the amount of research authors do makes these story feel real. That is why we will be listing the 30 must read historical fiction books of all time. Keep reading to see which books made the list!
With so many amazing books to choose from, this list was a bit difficult to create. A lot of modern novels cracked this list and some authors have established themselves as instant classics. You can see the full list below!
The 30 Must Read Historical Fiction Books of All Time
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
- The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
- The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
- The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
- Aztec by Gary Jennings
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Atonement by Ian McEwan
- The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
- Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell
- The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
- The Leviathan by Rosie Andrews
- She Who Became The Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan
- The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
- Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
- The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory
Historical Fiction Books to Read
There are lots of old and new classics on this list. Novels such as The Book Thief, The Nightingale, War and Peace, and Beloved jump out right away. These authors have kept the genre fresh and showcase the endless potential of historical fiction novels.
We can’t forget the books that have come to define the genre over the decades. Novels such as Gone with the Wind, All the Light We Cannot See, and Outlander are books new readers should read. To understand this genre, reading the best books is a must.
One of my personal favorite books on this list is A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. The setting, attention to detail, and storytelling make this a must read. I know little of Russian history and was fascinated with this world since the first page.
That ends this list of the 30 must read historical fictions books of all time. What books should we include in the next list? Let us know in the comments below!