Here at Books of Brilliance, we love dystopian novels with a passion. Something about them makes us want to read them all the time. But there are lots of great dystopian novels to choose from. That is why we decided to list the 25 best dystopian novels of all time. Keep reading to see which books made our list!
Great dystopian novels can address problems in society by imagining the worst-case scenario. And while many of them never happen, it is still fun to imagine a world where it might. Authors have written novels about hundreds if not thousands of dystopias over the decades. You can see the full list below.
The 25 Best Dystopian Novels of All Time
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- Divergent by Veronica Roth
- We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
- The Children of Men by Phyllis White
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner
- The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
- Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip K. Dick
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- The Passage by Justin Cronin
- The Drowned World by J.G. Ballard
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
Classics and More
There are a lot of great classics on this list. Books such as The Handmaid’s Tale, Nineteen Eighty-Four, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? made the list and rightfully so. They have shaped the genre and are at the forefront.
But there are also newer novels that have separated themselves from the rest. The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Station Eleven are amazing novels that must reads. The genre is always changing and we can’t wait to see what other novels make it into this list in the future.
That is all for the 25 best dystopian novels of all time list. What books should have made the list? Let us know in the comments below!