We love coming across lists and seeing which books are must reads. But many lists just don’t cut it. That is why we decided to make our own list. Keep reading to find out the 20 must read books of all time!
Choosing only 20 books seems like a crime but we’ll make it work. This is an ongoing series and any book that doesn’t make this list may make the next one. The truth is that there is no real way to decide which books are must reads. In my opinion, it is any book you enjoyed. The problem with that is how do you choose a new book that you haven’t read before. You can see the full list below!
The 20 Must Read Books of All Time
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- Dracula by Bram Stoker
- Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Must Read Books
The top two novels on the list are books that define their respective genres. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the best works of fiction and still as popular and relevant as ever. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings is the best fantasy series of all time and its popularity seems to still be growing.
Some of the other novels to make the list include 1984, Jane Eyre, and The Lord of the Flies. These are classics as well as some of the best books to read. One of my all-time favorite reads is The Count of Monte Cristo. There is no other book like it.
Outside the top ten, we have novels such as Dracula, Catch-22, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. A novel that readers either love or hate is The Great Gatsby. I think it is a good novel that readers should read at least once.
That is all for our list of the 20 must read books of all time. How many of these books have you read? Which books should we include in our next list? Let us know in the comments below!