If you are like us, then you are also drawn to dystopian novels, But not all dystopian novels are the same. That is why we decided to list the 20 best dystopian novels of all time. Keep reading to find out which ones made the list!
Choosing 20 dystopian novels feels like the right amount. There are some classics that make up most lists and a few others that may be overlooked by readers. You can see the full list below
The 20 Best Dystopian Novels of All Time
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- Divergent by Veronica Roth
- The Children of Men by Phyllis White
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner
- Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip K. Dick
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- The Passage by Justin Cronin
20 Timeless Dystopian Novels
One of the most notable dystopian novels must be The Handmaid’s Tale. Some people may have read it in school while others read it for fun but either way, it is an impactful novel. Another classic dystopian novel that is up there is 1984. They both tackle serious issues and make us imagine the worst-case scenarios.
A novel that everyone has heard of on this list is The Hunger Games. If you haven’t read it because it became mainstream, then you are missing out on an amazing novel. It helped reshape dystopian novels and popularized them and influenced a few books along the way.
A couple of my favorites on the list are Station Eleven and The Passage. They are both great novels that take the genre in a different direction. Great writing is what makes these novels special and I can’t wait to see what new the future holds for this genre.
That is all for our list of the 20 best dystopian novels of all time. What books should we have included on our list? Let us know in the comments below!