With so many books to read from, knowing which books to read can be difficult. There are hundreds of classics and amazing modern novels. Which books should you read? We have compiled a list of the 23 books that everyone should read at least once in their lives. Keep reading to find out which 23 books made the list!
To any reader, I would say read whatever makes you happy. But not everyone is an avid reader. Some readers want to check off the must-read books and see what books everyone is talking about. This list includes many great books but it also is missing many more books. While 23 books doesn’t cover all the great books, it is a great start.
23 Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once in Their Lives
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Dracula by Bram Stoker
New and Old Classics
This list is a great highlight of the 23 books that everyone should read at least once. Classics such as To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, and The Catcher in the Rye are books that everyone needs to read. Even if you don’t enjoy them, their impact and message is worth it.
My personal favorites include The Book Thief, The Lord of the Rings, and The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. These novels are monumental and the latter two have inspired many novels. Tolkien is regarded as the father of fantasy for good reason. And it is hard to disregard Adams novels that are considered some of the best science fiction books of all time.
These are the 23 must read books. What did you think of the list? What novels should have been included on the list? Let us know in the comments below!