The Best Science Fiction Books of All Time

Science fiction books are some of my favorite all times book because of the creativity of the authors. It is not easy writing a science fiction book which is why we decided to take a look at the best science fiction books of all time.

I made the mistake of creating a list of the five best science fiction books of all time and left out many classics. To make up for that mistake, I have decided to create a list of all of the best science fiction books in my opinion.

The Best Science Fiction Books of All Time

• Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne, 1864
  • Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, 1990
  • Fahrenheit 451 by by Ray Bradbury, 1953
  • Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, 2016
  • A Clockwork Orange by by Anthony Burgess, 1962

Timeless Books

The list is in no specific order but what came to my mind first. There are many books on the list that are synonymous with the science fiction genre and the first one I will be talking about is The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. The novel tackles a bunch of issues and uses science fiction perfectly to create the worst-case scenario to make the its point. That has led to it being one of the most banned books in the country.

A book that is often credited as being one of the first if not the first science fiction books is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. The novel is over two centuries old and is still relevant today. If that doesn’t speak volume, I don’t know what else will.

Authors Who Have Defined the Genre

Now, I will be shifting the focus on a couple of authors that played an important part in the genre. H. G. Wells has written multiple books that are regarded as some of the best books in the genre. Books like The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds make him vital to this category.

Another author that comes to mind is Isaac Asimov. His Foundation series is a goldmine for fans of the science fiction genre. His novel I, Robot is also worth reading as it tackles a lot of issues when it comes to artificial intelligence.

Conclusion

No list is going to get it right but this list covers most of the major science fiction novels of the past two centuries. From classics like Dune by Frank Herbert to Ringworld which I have heavily recommended by my readers. What do you make of the list? Are there any books that should have made the list? Let us know in the comments below!

Follow us on Instagram and Facebook

30 thoughts on “The Best Science Fiction Books of All Time

1. Bookstooge says:

I don’t think Blake Crouch makes the grade, to be honest. His writing and stories are Crichton-lite and made to be turned into movies/tv shows. Plus, from what I’ve read of him, he takes every 90’s SF trope and tries to present it as “new” to readers while it’s old hat. At least Crichton had some real science in his books.

I’ve often wondered if Dune will eventually become known as the King of the SF novels. Herbert sketches out an entire universe with just a few pen strokes and still tells an excellent story. We won’t be around to see if that ends up being the case, but I do like to think about it 🙂

2. Steven Harvey says:

I’d add these
    K.W. Jeter -Farewell Horizontal
    Abnett, dan – titanicus
    Brian Aldiss – Heliconia trilogy
    Banks, iain – feersuum endjinn
    Greg Bear – Darwin’s Children
    John Brunner – The Jagged Orbit
    Mick Farren – Necrom
    Geo. Alec Effinger – When Gravity Falls
    Richard K. Morgan – Altered Carbon
    Lucius Shepherd – Life During Wartime
    Williams, walter jon – conventions of war
    Zelazny, Roger – lord of light
    Russo, richard paul – carlucci novels
    Reynolds, Alastair – blue remembered earth

1. DARRYL D. RUTLEDGE says:

Missing from this list..THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES.

3. Raymond Ingram says:

I have read alot on your list and do believe that Battlefield Earth is outstanding. Definitely not the movie

1. Richard Perry says:

Any list of great science fiction books that doesn’t have anything written by Arthur C Clarke on it is suspect. Any list without “Childhoods End” on it is not a list worthy of consideration.

1. Phil Surtees says:

At first I thought it was a complete disgrace, but then I came to realise that it’s actually a huge compliment. So many of Arthur C Clarke’s ideas have become ingrained in our collective psyche – they’re so pervasive – that people have forgotten they were actually introduced to us by him?

1. bill2smith says:

Neuromancer, by William Gibson, was a game-changer. It was not just great sci-fi, but really good literature. He has a unique style, unimitable. Big mistake to leave him out. He created new genres: cyberpunk sci fi, and “inner space” sci fi.

4. Bruce Watt says:

Have read all on the list. I think The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin trilogy should be on the list.

5. Jonathan Price says:

There’s no Disch, Delany, Gibson or Stephenson on this list. That makes it not even worth discussing.

6. Robert says:

How about some Vernon Vinge, ‘Fire upon the Deep’ ? No scifi list is comple without VV.

7. Bryan says:

Do yourself a favor and read these two books by Alfred Bester: The Demolished Man, and The Stars My Destination.

Then come back and add them to this list.

1. Mark D Doiron says:

Yes. “Stars My Destination” kicked off the cyberpunk genre. It is also titled “Tiger! Tiger!”

8. Lawrence Banes says:

Like many authors/books on your list, I enjoy those books that have new concepts created on every page “with a few pen strokes”. Dune fits that precept; Hyperion (Cantos) fits; as do Asimov’s Robot and Foundation series.
    I would add Startide Rising by David Brin as one that has more “mind blowing” ideas in the 1st chapter than many whole novels.

9. Kage says:

Great list, but you need to add more recent books, and a few overlooked greats:
    Parable of the sower by Octavia Butler ( don’t bother with the sequel)- brilliant
    Murderbot series by Martha Wells – genius
    Ancillary Justice series
    A Memory Called Empire and A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine (pen name, Arkady being the female lead in one of the Foundation novels)
    The Girl With all the Gifts- horror sci fi, excellent all the same
    The Expanse Series- hard to choose just one

1. Kage says:

And I agree that Delaney and Clark should show up on this list- Stars in My Pockets like Grains of Sand and either Childhoods End or 2001.
      And Three Body Problem (the other two are trash)
      And Neuromancer by Gibson
      If the list were ranked, Dune should take the top spot. Glad it’s finally getting it’s due. So far ahead of it’s time. So layered with such complex world building.

10. Chris H Mayeux says:

Don’t forget Empire From The Ashes by David Weber

11. JAMES GUESS JR says:

Atwood’s “MaddAddam Trilogy” is better than The Handmaid’s Tale

12. Nikolaos Chivikas says:

I am a big fan of Roger Zelazny, especially the Nine Princes of Amber (series). Do you have a list of fantasy books by chance?

13. Raymond says:

Awesome list. I’d add a Lazarus Long title and Arthur C. Clark.

14. Brian Cooper says:

‘Combat Unit’ by Keith Laumer. (1960)
    Yes, it’s only a short story, but it’s the first tale of the futuristic supertanks known as the Bolos, and Laumer’s style of telling their stories from the point of view of their combat AI was unique in its time.

15. Wbilly says:

Pavane by Keith Roberts
    Engine Summer by John Crowley
    The Last Castle by Jack Vance
    A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr.
    The Man In The High Castle by Philip K Dick
    Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
    The Left Hand Of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin
    Neuromancer by William Gibson
    Stations Of The Tide by Michael Swanwick

And many others which could be added to your me list without diluting it’s quality.

16. 5ifth says:

Thank you for including Larry Niven. Though Ringworld is his most known book, there are so many more that are amazing (Protector, Lucifer’s Hammer, A World Out of Time… I feel I could go on and on).

1. Enrico says:

I would warming recommend Aristoi by W. J. Williams.

17. Hayworth says:

I always liked the Well of souls books (e.g midnight at the well of souls, etc.) And the four lords of the diamond series from Jack Chalker.

18. Phil Surtees says:

Just to be clear, you have a list of The Best Science Fiction Books of All Time – one which isn’t even limiting itself to a specific number – but you haven’t included a single book by Arthur C Clarke?
    Seem legit…
    PFFT!
    I mean … just to provide one example, Rendezvous With Rama is the ONLY hard science fiction book (series, actually), which delves into how a species might ACTUALLY travel interstellar distances without resorting to the fantasy of an FTL drive or a wormhole, but … so what, right?
    I’ve been watching with horror as hard science fiction has become rarer and rarer (people ACTUALLY believe that Interstellar is hard science fiction, as opposed to the ridiculous fantasy nonsense that it is, and compare it to 2001: A Space Odyssey), but when the King of hard science fiction, one of the towering figures of the science fiction genre, one of the pioneers, one of the acknowledged Masters, doesn’t have a single book on a list like this, then I guess hard science fiction can officially be pronounced dead.
    I was going to say that poor old Arthur must be turning over in his grave, but then I realised that he might actually be overjoyed to find that many of his ideas have become so ingrained in the human psyche that he isn’t even acknowledge as their originator any more. So, for example, you have included War Of The Worlds, because Wells introduced us to the idea of advanced, hostile aliens, but you haven’t included any books from the guy who introduced us to the idea of advanced, benevolent aliens.
    Interesting…
    The City And The Stars (which was a re-write of Against The Fall Of Night), is one of the first books – certainly the first to be read by a wide audience – to introduce us to the idea of virtual reality, to name just ONE of the many ideas which overflow from that incredible book, but who has heard of virtual reality? It’s not like Zuckerberg is betting his empire on it or anything like that, so it was definitely right to leave that book off the list I suppose…
    Honestly, I don’t know if you just don’t rate Clarke as an author for some reason – despite his towering presence and influence on the genre – or whether you just haven’t read any of his books for some reason, but if it’s the latter then you are doing yourself a great disservice; one you should rectify immediately…

Now, shall we discuss the fact that of all of Michael Crichton’s excellent science fiction books, the one you’ve chosen to include on your list is Jurassic Park???
    😛

19. Lawrence Johnson says:

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester and Nova by Samuel R. Delany should definitely have been on this list.