Many books get forgotten in hotels because people have a lot of things going on at the moment. Or sometimes some people just don’t want to see that book ever again. That made us ask the question: What books are abandoned the most at hotels?
The Most Abandned Books at Hotels
We recently looked at the most abandoned book at hotels from a decade ago and decided to find a more recent list as well as a broader list of books. Unfortunately, once again, the data is from the United Kingdom as they seem to be the only one that keep track of something like this. Without further ado, these are the 20 most abandoned books at hotels.
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- The Couple Next Door by Sharri Lapena
- Bad Dad by David Williams
- Origin by Dan Brown
- The Secret by Rhonda Bryne
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- Paul O’Grady’s: County Life by Paul O’Grady
- Sharp Objects: Gillian Flynn
- Dairy of a Wimpy Kid: The Getaway by Jeff Kinney
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone by J.K. Rowling
- Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Colouring Book by Johanna Basford
- It by Stephen King
- The World’s Worst Children by David Williams
- Fantastic Beats and where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling
- Big Little Lies by Liana Moriarty
- All Out War: The Full Story of How Brexit Sank Britain’s Political Class by Tim Shipman
- Harry Potter Colouring Book Warner Bros.
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- Donald Trump: The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump
- Disney Princess Beauty and the Beast Magical Story Disney
The data is from Travelodges from 2018 based in the United Kingdom. Coming in at number one is The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. The book has seen a rise in popularity due to the Amazon T.V. show. That hasn’t stopped people from forgetting it at hotels though.
An interesting book on the list is The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins at number 6. It became a popular novel for one year and a movie of the same name followed soon after. Some books are seasonal and that is the case here. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the people who have bought a copy of it have misplaced it. They won’t even remember buying this novel to be honest.
Quite a Few Children’s Books Made the List
Two of the most popular children’s books are The Dairy of a Winpy Kid and Harry Potter Books made the list. Children forget things all the time at hotels and that seems to be the case here. There are some more children’s books on this list which falls under the same category.
And now, we can talk about the thing that stands out most on the list. Three Harry Potter books made the list, two of them being authored by J.K. Rowling. She is very popular still and you can imagine how many parents had to buy more copies of the book as a result. Two decades later and Rowling is still as relevant as ever in the U.K.
Another author that made the list twice is David Williams. I have never heard of him but he is a comedian turned author that resides in the U.K. He is also quite popular with the U.K crowd and having unique titles such as Bad Dad and The World’s Worst Children make him a winner in my eye.
What books caught your eye on the list? The real question is what happens to these books? Are the donated to the library or does the staff get to take them home? Have you ever forgotten at a hotel? Let us know in the comments below!
2 thoughts on “These are the Most Abandoned Books at Hotels”
ngl i would abandon number 19
It would have looked a bit more professional if you’d bothered to get more of the author’s names and book titles correct.